Sunday, February 16, 2014

Leaving San Francisco.....

Hello Friends!

 I had high hopes of keeping up this blog during my time here in San Francisco, but alas, work intervenes.
Many of you have been so kind to send me e-mails, and tweets to keep tabs on me while I have been working out here. I thank you all so much. My life is set to change again. So perhaps I should catch you up....

 Back in October of 2013, I learned that the hotel I managed in NJ had sold. My company sent me to Texas on some task force type work, I was there for 7 weeks, assisting the Fairfield Inn , Weatherford, Texas. I met some fantastic people, who have graciously kept in touch with me. I returned home to help with transition day of the sale at the end of November. The new company did not take any of the existing staff. So, I was out of a job. Nothing was available in my local area, so I had a few offers to travel for work. A few short term offers from my current company, to go to NY or PA for a few weeks, or I could join an old friend, here in San Francisco. The work in California was more long term, and more interesting, so I opted to begin a fairly tough travel schedule of 3 weeks in California, and a week at home each month. It was set to last through a renovation project, for approximately 9 months. I was flattered my old friend would provide such an opportunity, so I jumped at the chance.

 I have really loved working with the folks out here. I also met my Mom's 1st cousin, connected with some friends from Ustream, and visited a lot of tourist stuff. I took a class with Dyan Reaveley! I biked the Golden Gate Bridge! I mastered public transportation, I helped out a few Hotel GM's, with various needs, and met a great group that I will surely miss.

 All the while I have been out here, I had previously placed my resume with a local hotel company back in NJ to manage another Marriott brand hotel, that is located 2 miles from my house! Well, 3 weeks ago, they called, and I got the job. I am set to start in early March. I am very excited to be able to work so close to home, for a brand I love, and with some old friends. It will be an exciting new chapter in my life. I am sad to be leaving all of my new friends and family out here in California, but as they say, there is no place like home... I will be very happy to be near my parents, and at home with Keith and Geddy. I have not been home since 1/9/14! I am going a little crazy in the hotel room I call home in California. I am so grateful to have been given this opportunity, but I am very ready to be home.

 So, I will be flying back to the cold climate of NJ, this Friday. I have a lot of work to do in getting packed up out here, and finishing my work. I am so grateful for all the support my friends and family have shown me through these last 5 months. I have made some family connections and friends that will last a lifetime. I hope to be able to return to my YouTube videos, and my Ustream show in mid March.

 Thank you all for following me, through these journeys. Your support means the world to me!

 Hugs,
 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job and you seem to have weathered all the recent changes well. I am sure your family will be glad to have you back home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your life will be back to normal. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad things have worked out for you. Hopefully this will mean we can hang out with you on Sundays again. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurel, you have been on my prayer list since your job situation changed and I am so glad that you have come full circle and I am sure your Guy and Geddy are ecstatic! I know from experience how your mom feels and I am certain you will be happier just sleeping in your own bed again. Congratulations and one more thing. I am always glad to get to have lunch or dinner with a friend - so I am glad we got to do that at least. If I make it to NJ or you happen to be back in Texas....you know. :) (((big ole hug)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Laurel, that's fantastic news. So glad you have the job that you wanted, and so close to home too. Well done for getting though all the difficult stuff first! hugs, Rach xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so happy that things worked out great for you. Being back in your own home with your family means a lot. Best of luck in your new venture and hope to see you Streaming again real soon.

    ReplyDelete