Friday, October 10, 2008

A furry angel in heaven

Scotia
March 17 1992- October 10, 2008


This seems so very hard to write, I guess I'm still in disbelief. Today we said goodbye to our wonderful 14+ year old cat named Scotia, who was battling osteo-sarcoma for the last 2 months. I could tell you how devasted and heartbroken Keith and I are, but that would'nt even scratch the surface of how we feel.

I am trying through lots and lots of tears, to remember how fantastic she was. How she gave me so much comfort, and how she was truly my best friend. How funny she was, and how beautiful.

I can only hope that she has forgiven me for making the last decision to put her to sleep today, as it was the right choice. She could no longer eat the last few days, as the cancer was in her mandible, and spreading faster than anyone ever thought it would.

She was so funny. She loved Keith through and through and tolerated me. She had the best purr, so loud and comforting, and last night she even indulged me with it, even though I am sure, she was'nt feeling well. She loved our porch, and the back of the couch to watch Bird TV through the picture window, sometimes becoming overwhelmed, and splatting herself against the window. She loved pork anything, and once carved a canoe out of a pork tenderloin, and was so bloated she rolled instead of walked for a few days. She loved to lie on her back, and she looked like one of those kooky kitchen clocks when she did. Her tail was always in motion, I swear she talked with it, and only meowed when she wanted dinner, right now!

She always knew when I was sad or sick. She would lie on the part of me that was broken. I hope she knows it's my heart right now.

She was playful for her advanced age. When I got her from a friend in 1993, she would only let me touch one paw, and we played our foot game for many years to come.

She followed Keith everywhere, and loved to be right beside him or on him. I thought one of the best messages she ever sent me and pretty funny, was she did'nt like my old boyfriend. So much so, she peed on his clothes. She did it a lot. I think she was telling me to wise up, and eventually I did.

I miss her, so very much. Friends tell me I made the right choice, but the heart learns slowly.


She was my best friend, my furry little child, and I was so lucky to have had her in my life. Thank you Scotia, for being there for me for 15 years.I have read there is a rainbow bridge up in heaven especially for pets. I hope you find the softest pillow, with a pork smorgasboard, and know that I will always love you, how very special you are, and that you did a great job taking care of us.

Rest now, no more pain or worry, only Love.


6 comments:

  1. Dear Laurel,
    So very sorry to hear about poor Scotia, and how hard it must be on you, and Keith. I know for a fact that there is no way any pet could have had a better life, all due to you. I hope you find some solace in that, even though it is tough sometimes to find solace in anything when we are in pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Drew............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel,
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how you feel as I lost my precious lloyd in 2007. Just reading your entry has made me cry. Please comfort yourself in knowing that there is a rainbow bridge and one day you will be with Scotia again.

    Hugs, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Laurel and Keith,

    We are very sorry to hear of your beloved Scotia's passing.

    Scotia is now healthy in heaven and continues to know how much you love her.

    Our Princess passed in April and so we understand how you feel. We made her a memorial site at http://www.catster.com/cats/781169
    and it helps us cope a bit with her loss.

    Both you and your Angel Scotia are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Best wishes,

    Robert and Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurel,
    What a great photo of Scotia! I'm glad you put up a post of her. She was a beautiful cat!
    Rebecca P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Laurel,
    Scotia was so blessed to have you and Keith in her life. Thank you for being such a good mommy to her. The love that comes through your words gives me goose bumps, and makes me tearry eyed.
    Hugs,
    Marylou

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so very much for your kind, caring words of support and encouragement during this difficult time in my life. It saddens me that anyone would have to go through the kind of pain and lost you and I have experienced. I am so glad that there are others out there who love their "babies" as much as I love my Bebe. Thanks for your *hug* and for helping me with my card drive. I look forward to receiving your cards. Hope you have a wonderful day. Rest in peace, Scotia and Bebe.

    ReplyDelete